What solution Yoga has for this?
Congratulations! For you being the early birds to realize binge as a new cancer and came for a solution. Coz one would never land on this article unless, if he/she does not recognize the waste-of-time/being-over-weight/run-out-of-time are outcome of binge.
What is Binge ?
A period of excessive indulgence in an activity, especially drinking alcohol or eating. And now a days we see it is not just limited to ingested item (from oral cavity) but also visual data, audible data. 61% of the Netflix survey participants said they binge-watch regularly .
Binge = happiness quotient?
- Just scrolling the IG/FB for the people travelling/enjoying/dressing/laughing/getting high/drinking/even having success in their lives- that becomes a wholesome source of stress for us. And there you are with a question mark for your status on those parameters.
- These binge-watch that now a days all media servers are providing us is not happiness, it is just pleasure plus if physiologically talking, it is stress for your eyes and lower back(also, not to forget your head).
- That Bluetooth with is the show off of your high profile work is constantly damaging your ears. We feel that we have become more responsive or more productive, but that has come with a cost of damage in bits, to your ear.
- Over eating or irregular eating is never bliss. On contrary it creates hell for your stomach and makes it, over-work every time.
- The audio is just superb, let me pass my time while driving or may be while freshing-up and brushing in the morning. Or may be talking on phone while cooking or eating or on-office-chair. (that Bluetooth and ear-phone/head-phone is never away)
- The feel of comfort from AC is just so-so pleasurable that we never turn it off.
So what did we get from above!
Binge is clearly not a bodily requirement. We do it for sensuous pleasure. Giving extra dose to our sensory organs for pleasure is Sensuous Pleasure. The list can go on and on….
So basically whatever that we were interpreting or perceiving to be happiness is actually NOT, it is over exploitation of sensory organs and pain in long term.
Try keeping your phone off for 5 days, first four days would be very restless and puzzled but see your productivity and level of stress in your body on fifth day. You will be surprised!!!
So! new definition of Binge!
So! Let us simply say Binge to be –
- excess of something
- available every moment
- for pleasure (means it’s not body’s need or something necessary for a living, it is just an ad-on)
What Yoga Offers?
Let us understand from where it came and it’s meaning.
- Pratyahaar is the fifth limb of Ashtanga Yoga given by Maharishi Patanjali ji. ( After Yama-Niyama-Asana-Pranayam-Pratyahaar-Dhaarna-Dhyaan-Samadhi)
- स्वविषयासंप्रयोगे चित्तस्य स्वरूपानुकार इवेन्द्रियाणां प्रत्याहारः॥ 2.54॥
Meaning:It is a condition of our body in which the sense are no more interested in having any contact with any object/subject for pleasure purpose.
Now your openings to external world getting you the excess but now your mind becomes smart to play it’s role smartly and reject that extra dose.
Oh My God, this definition of binge has hit the nail over its head.In simple words, it means a withdrawal of senses. It is moreover like, one is hearing and not listening to people’s crap!
Isn’t it great! You see a sight of favorite food item and still indifferent towards it (you now won’t feel like binging over it) or No-more Binge-watch.
(what else do we want now!!!!)
We are here talking about how Pratyahaar can help us in practical world, spiritually it has another and very important role to play for further stages of meditation viz. Dharna-Dyaan-Samadhi. If your body is constantly receiving distracting messages from external world how can one meditate hence Pratyahaar is a thing for that.Patanjali Yoga Sutra
How to do this- Pratyahaar?
We categorize people in two category and their respective actions:-
- The one not aware of Yoga, will put a willful effort and forceful command given by mind to the sense organs to not take the extra dose. This might help you for short term, however this fails for the long term results.
- One who did some learning on Yoga (not from youtube or google) would know that the success of fifth limb comes spontaneously as a result of sincere practice of first four (specially an intense practice of Pranayama).
So! we understand that there is no separate hi-tech technique for it. It will be a determined practice of Pranayama (and yes not to forget the first four limb)
Practical phenomena with which some of you would co-relate:
After sometime a point comes when you eyelids feels like going down during your Asana practice (indication of one of the sensory organ following the command of smart mind). Eyes is the dominant sense out of all.
So in Patanjali Yoga Sutra 2.55 clearly says
ततः परमा वश्यतेन्द्रियाणाम्॥2.55॥
Meaning:From Pratyahaar one can master the senses.
Still having confusion for what Pratyahaar is!
The sense organs gets under control and it produces almost same result as that induced by anesthetic drugs like ether and chloroform. (I hope this makes sense)
Pratyahaar is Natural Anesthesia.
Binges leads to:
Now for the ones, who have fumbled here by chance and do not take Binge as a serious issue, for them. Binge is one of the prime source cause of our sedentary lifestyle. And this sedentary lifestyle has led to below:-
- Stress then if not tackled then Depression
- More of mental illness (which cannot be seen)
- Psyco-somatic disorders. NCDs – Non communicable disease
We hope now you can easily identify a Binge and practice limbs of Yoga to counter it.
Stop over exploitation of your sense organs.Vidhu Chaudhary